(253) 627-4278 2714 6TH AVE. TACOMA, WA 98406
MON-THURS 10 – 6
FRI-SAT 10 – 8
SUN 11 – 6
Johann Johannsson - IBM 1401- A User's Manual 2LP
First Ever Vinyl Pressing
Deluxe Gatefold Sleeve
2x Clear LP
Two Bonus Tracks
Never before pressed on vinyl, IBM 1401, A User’s Manual, is one of Jóhann Jóhannsson’s most-loved works. Originally released in 2006, the decade since its release has seen Jóhann establish himself as one of the most important composers in the world, notably scoring movies such as Arrival, Blade Runner 2049, Sicario and The Theory of Everything. Johann’s scores have been nominated for two Academy Awards®, two Golden Globes®, a Grammy® and three BAFTA® awards. He was awarded the Golden Globe® for Best Original Score for The Theory Of Everything.
Inspired by the work his father did in the sixties when chief maintenance engineer of one of Iceland’s first computers, Jóhann originally wrote IBM 1401, A User’s Manual to accompany a dance piece by long-standing collaborator and friend, Erna Ómarsdóttir. For the album release, he rewrote the piece for a sixty-piece string orchestra, with a new final movement (built around a poem by Dorothy Parker) and incorporating both electronics and reel-to-reel recordings made by his father and friends in 1971 of the IBM 1401 mainframe computer singing the hymn Ísland Ögrum Skorið by Sigvaldi Kaldalóns as it was being decommissioned.
The first ever pressing of IBM 1401, A User’s Manual comes in a deluxe gatefold sleeve, reworked by Chris Bigg (v23) from his original design. Pressed on clear vinyl, two live tracks recorded with the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra have also been added.
1. Part 1/ IBM 1401 Processing Unit
2. Part 2/ IBM 1403 Printer
3. Part 3/ IBM 1402 Card Read-Punch
4. Part 4/ IBM 729 II Magnetic Tape Unit
1. Part 5/ The Sun's Gone Dim And The Sky's Turned Black
2. Part 1 - IBM 1401 Processing Unit - Live with the City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra
3. Part 5 - The Sun’s Gone Dim And The Sky’s Turned Black - Live with the City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra